Sunday, May 29, 2005

Greetings, salutations, and all manner of perfunctory preamble. How do the last days of may find you?

I can't believe it is almost June. That means I have three months left out here. Madness. I am itching for a sort of all-american eating spree where I hit up like 15 of my favorite restaurants in columbus in the course of an afternoon. Who is with me? Who will be around?

So it is looking like teaching english in China seesm to be the new hip trendy thing to do for the up-and-coming of the intellectual elite. Japan is so passe, in Japan you can save money, but in China you can make 500 dollars a month and live like a king without having to worry about saving money for going home cuz you arent making enough to save. I kinda like that. Maybe I will go to China after college, following in the prestigious footsteps of Emily Patterson and Kate Grible and I would say Dan Jones but that seems to have fallen through. That's cool, what is it about the east that draws us? I think it might be that the most savage elements of their history were long enough ago that there is a sense of peace and enlightenment pervading the east during the age of "western history" from rome to now that was sort of, ya know, violent? I dunno.

Not Japan, though, Japan was always violent and a little mad. Nutters, they are.

But, what use have I for a rumination on the comparative merits of the various longitudes? None, I say, none! and so onward oneward Iwe press.

So last thursday I had a meeting with the upper level of management about the web work I have been doing. I did the "proper" web thing and separated content from style entirely, extracted all of the content into a word file and asked them to check it for me to tell me what needed to be updated. The plan then is that once I have a "correct" set of content, I can simply treat that as its own object and drop it into whatever web page style I feel like designing - or, more relevantly, I can drop it in to several styles and have them be completely unrelated but have the content the same. This is the New Big Thing in web design that has been evolving for years. You can now do RSS feeds of websites which basically extract just the content from pages and post it wherever you want it - content has become an object.

So, I print up the content object to go over first, and they kinda flip out that I would do this. There were no photos, no background, I think they were kinda scared that I had essentially destroyed their website by removing all the images. It took me forever to explain what I was doing and when I was done they looked at me skeptically and told me that if I wanted them to look at my content I had to put it in the page and print the whole thing out - in color! - for them to see. I tried to explain that I couldn't really make the page without knowing what content they wanted, but they proved implacable. So now I gotta kinda actually make the page and then add the content and then get it all to print out - which is harder than it sounds cuz I have some really basic scripts in the page that round corners on divs and the like so it looks good when it is on the screen but screen style and print style are two separate things and basically I can't print it to look like that. Unless I were to take a screenshot, hmmm...

So then I showed them what I had been working on and they were like "Wow! That's liek a whole new webpage, that's great!" and I was like "Well...wasn't I supposed to be making a whole new webpage?" But whatever. So basically what we are sitting on now is, I need to input the content into my design and then take screenshots of the basic outline and print it all up and then they can check the content. Rather silly and backwards and will take time, but at least there is a process.

Number two thing is, starting wednesday I begin my various tours of various plants across Japan. Wednesday I am in Osaka, Thursday and Friday in Kyushuu, and next week in Tokyo, Chiba and Saitama. There, I will take photographs and basically get the information I need for the little popup sites I want to make for each facility. It'll be good but I gotta get my idea approved and it could be a hassle? Anyway I am looking forward to it.

I am very scared that all of my webwork is ultimately not going to be used and that due to various beaurcratic forces I will not have time to finish this. Were everything cut and dry, I could easily simply enter the content and be done in 3 days. What I want more than anything is for someone to sit down with me and simply tell me what is true and what is false and then I could put it all in and then fill in the blanks in terms of what new content I need. But that is too much to ask because nobody wants to be associated with the website unless it has universal approval and so I am sort of sitting on my ass learning web design tricks on the web and irritations in the office. And it is my fault for not aggressively pursuing the things that needed to be done with the website. I have spent two months basically teaching myself a LOT about web design and the like but it is of course in the end not all that much; what I should have been doing is hunting down the people whose help I need, one at a time. We will see how this goes, I have two months left in this company. Gulp.

In other news, yesterday was a Walk. I had thought it was like a charity walk thing so I volunteered when they asked me, and I go and it was like a pro-Japan pro-Health walk where everyone just sort of stretched together like they do in school and then walked 4 or 7 kilometers. It was soooo herd mentality - everyone there was wearing the same sort of casual but not too casual clothing and a hat - every fucking head in the entire place was covered by a hat and you just knew that everyone that morning had thought "If I don't wear a hat I will get sunstroke and besides everyone else will think I am weird for not wearing a hat" and so of the 500 people that were there I was the only uncovered head. Weird.

I met up with some girls from work when I got there and we walked together. They kept asking me about girls and what type of girl I like and do I like anyone right now and all this middle school stuff. It's kinda funny and kinda cute and kinda annoying, I know the one likes me. I play myself off like a playboy trying to play innocent - they know I have a lot of female friends and they keep asking if I like one of them and I tell them I like all of them and that indeed I love everyone. They take that to mean I sleep around. They ask me why I am a "baddo bo-i" and I tell them that it's just that my heart is incapable of feeling anything but love for anyone. Then they laughed and the one that liked me rubbed my stomach and told me I was fat but not too fat, to which I reply that I am skinny in America and that I am hungry. Topics change.

I do not believe in tense. I want to establish that right now, if only so you can throw it in my face when I correct your tense agreement when you slip up.

Am fantasizing about Playstation 3 and the new Metal Gear 4 which just makes my heart sing.

Am living with Zach next year, don't think I posted that on here yet. We gonna listen to sad music and play poker and watch each other play video games. Excited. Zach and I have a relationship that is antagonistic or at least irritated almost as often as friendly, so he is the closest I have to a brother at OSU. We understand each other pretty well I think, though I am not sure why as he is not my closest friend but simply one who usually knows what I am thinking. I think ultimately we are very similar albeit he more aggressive and I more pretentious. As a result he is secure in the "knowledge" that he is stronger than me whereas I am secure in the "knowledge" that I am better than him. It works out well. I hope the place is big enough. ;)

So I thought I had three more quarters of scholarship left. I thought this because they told me I had three more quarters of scholarship left. They told me this because I tried to get scholarship for the summer and they said it involved a lot of hoops I had not jumped through; I said "no, thats not right, I got scholarship the summer of my freshman year and I didnt jump through any hoops." They said "no, you didnt, we dont know where that money came from but you have only used 9 quarters of scholarship." "Oh, I said, not ten [ed note: I do realize that one through nine are to be spelled out and that 10+ can be written in numerals, but I just reversed that. Do you care? Bugger off you tit!]? Does that mean that I have three more quarters of full tuition?" "Yes," they said. "Cool," I said.

But now they tell me I only have two more quarters because I have used ten. I don't disbelieve it as I sorta figured that money I got didnt come out of nowhere, but fuck them for fixing their paperwork after selling me on the lie. This means I gotta get the bulk of my classes out of the way and finished by the end of winter quarter. I will take 30 hours in the fall and 30 in the winter and that SHOULD do it but it won't be any fun. Then I will enroll part time in the fall and summer taking 4 hours each time of Thesis writing so that I can write my senior honors thesis about solipsism and narcissism in modernist literature. I need to write a thesis to graduate with distinction and I need to take at least 8 hours of the thesis writing thing to do that. I can probably win enough money to fund that. Then basically I have to find a job in a computer lab where I can earn 8 dollars an hour to sit and write my thesis for 60 hours a week. Through spring and summer.

Then I will graduate in the summer of 2006, which may make me too late for JET 2006. Hmm.

I much preferred the schedule where I took 30 hours a quarter for Fall, Winter and Spring quarters and then graduated with distinction in the spring, having written my thesis while participating in standard courseloads.

I could just drop out I suppose, what do you think of that?

Anyway, yeah, that is school. That means I may have to change the schedule on the right to include more science. Fuck. And I may just not take fifth year Japanese. What do you think of that?

Karen will be here in less than a month. Karen, bring some gnutella, I have the oddest craving for it.

That is all you get though my mind feels as though I could go on. I am stopping not for any reason, but for no reason.

"I can't see the end of me -
My whole expanse I cannot see;
I formulate infinity
Stored deep inside of me..."
Comments:
This is a excellent blog. Keep it going.

This may be of interest to you I have a free online dating service. It pretty much covers dating stuff.

I'll be sure to come back.
 
Hey I just love your blog. I also have a free american single
blog/site. I mostly deals with free american single
Please come and check it out if you get the time!
 
Hey, you have a great blog here!

I have a big dog apparel site. It pretty much covers ##Coats for Dogs## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time.
 
Came here searching for adult phone personals

Not a bad site you got here mate!

Check out mine
All about
adult phone personals
 
I really enjoyed reading your blog, my site is about Trigun if you like Trigun you should have a look at my site!
 
Essential oils, roots and herbs can be used in a variety of ways to promote healthy living and workplace stress. They are used to create natural remedies for treating ailments common to both people and animals, to add flavor to food, to make perfumes and to create environmentally friendly cleaning products.

You do not have to own a garden to tap into the benefits of plants, roots and herbs. A few herb pots located by a sunny window are enough to get you started. Then, all you need are some essential oils and you are ready to go.

For therapeutic purposes, only the purest oils will do. It is possible to be fooled into thinking that you are purchasing a pure oil. Often, a lesser quality blend of several oils is used to mimic the properties of the pure oil. Blended oils are acceptable for fragrance purposes such as for perfuming a room, but pure oils are a "must" for medicinal purposes.

A reasonable guide to the purity of an essential oil is its price. Pure essential oils are generally more expensive. Common oils such as lavender and geranium are much cheaper than frankincense and carnation oil. It is advisable to become familiar with essential oil prices and then rely on this knowledge when purchasing oils from unfamiliar sources. Keep in-mind that you will generally get what you pay for. A price list from a reputable dealer is a valuable resource when purchasing essentials oils.

Usually, pure essential oils cannot be applied directly to the skin and must be mixed in a base oil to reduce their strength. Base oils such as almond oil or wheatgerm oil are commonly used for this purpose. Base oils are generally derived from seeds, nuts or vegetables and allow you to create essential oil remedies that can be massaged into the skin.

So, what do you need to get started with essential oils and natural remedies?

Without a doubt, Lavender is one of the most useful and desirable oils. Not only does it work wonders on cuts, bruises and burns, it also aids sleep and helps with relaxation.

The Tea Tree and Eucalyptus oils are useful for treating a variety of respiratory ailments. These are excellent for the treatment of colds and coughs. They can be massaged into the chest or burned in an oil burner to help clear the airways and prevent congestion. Tea Tree oil is a natural antiseptic and can be dabbed on cuts, bites and stings. It is often used to treat spots and pimples and when diluted with water, acts as a mouth gargle (keep in-mind it should never be swallowed).

Another basic antiseptic is Geranium oil. With its distinctive perfume and pain relieving properties, it is a necessary inclusion when starting out.

Peppermint oil should also be purchased as it treats digestive complaints and may be used in preparations for freshening breath.

For fragrant perfumes and establishing ambience in a room, buy some Patchouli and Ylang-ylang oils. Often combined in scented candles and air fresheners, a few drops of each in an oil burner creates a wonderfully perfumed home. Orange oil mixed with Cinnamon oil is a lovely winter alternative that evokes seasonal, holiday smells. Besides their perfume qualities, all four of these oils have other properties. Patchouli treats eczema and dandruff. Ylang-ylang is reputed to relieve stress, palpitations and high blood pressure. Orange is used in natural remedies for depression and nervous tension and Cinnamon is excellent for warts and viral infections.

The herbs, Thyme and Rosemary can be grown in pots and used when needed. To create essential oils from herbs, stew some large amounts in pure water, collect the steam and cool it. The oil will rise to the top of the drained water and can be collected with an eyedropper. Alternatively, a "flower still" can be purchased to make the job easier. Thyme and Rosemary are both antiseptics and can be used in skin care preparations. They are also delicious when used in cooking.

Lemon oil and fresh lemons will purify water and, when mixed with honey, are effective remedies for colds and flu. Lemon and white vinegar are highly efficient cleaning agents that can be used for domestic cleaning tasks without damaging the environment. Use white vinegar as a natural disinfectant or mix it with water to clean windows and wooden floors. It is also handy to keep a bottle of white vinegar in your car if you swim in the ocean. It will bring instant relief from jellyfish stings.

Citronella oil is perfect in summer to keep the insects at bay. Another natural repellent is Garlic. Fleas will not bite a dog that has been eating garlic, so a few garlic capsules in the dog food are a cheap solution to your pet's flea problem. A soft collar soaked in Citronella will also do the job.

Garlic also helps to promote a healthy immune system when the weather turns cold and viruses begin to circulate. In fact, most of the oils and herbs listed above are effective in helping to prevent many common winter illnesses.

Whether you are looking for remedies or nature friendly products to use around the house, the oils and herbs suggested above should help get you started. You will be ready to make some healthy changes in your way of life!

workplace stress
 
I liked your information. I have a blog about body piercing tool. Please check it out and let me know what you think.
 
If you want over 18 adults only dating then Swinger Dating is the site for you. Totally free too :)
 
Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a anxiety relief site/blog. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)
 
Hi there Blogger, a real useful blog.Keep with the good work.
If you have a moment, please visit my video games manufacturers site.
I send you warm regards and wishes of continued success.
 
Wonderful blog! Do you have any suggestions for aspiring writers?
I'm hoping to start my own site soon but I'm
a little lost on everything. Would you propose starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go for a paid option?
There are so many options out there that I'm totally confused .. Any tips? Thanks a lot!

Feel free to visit my webpage :: medi weightloss clinic
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?