Monday, May 16, 2005

BBC NEWS | Americas | US chastity ring funding attacked

BBC NEWS | Americas | US chastity ring funding attacked: "The Silver Ring Thing says more than 30,000 young people have committed themselves to premarital purity after attending the programme's three-hour presentations. "

I am glad to know that my government continues to pour money into such endeavors. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Also, it's reassuring to know that these seminars are three hours long. I mean, I have to admit I would find myself a tad skeptical if 30,000 young people with no life experience made emotional life-long pledges after only one or two hours of seminar. Way to go, Team Jesus!

I guess I would feel more comfortable about the budget these guys get if I knew that there was at least something there that said "But if you do, use a condom" but somehow I don't think that's what they're going for ("Congress first allocated money for abstinence-only programs in 1999, setting aside $80 million in grants, which go to a variety of religious, civic and medical organizations. To be eligible, groups must limit discussion of contraception to failure rates.").

There is even talk of a study at Texas A&M that shows that abstinance-only education is correlated with increased teen pregnancy and STD's. Lovely ne?

Why are we funding this? I am curious if not hopefull with regards to this law suit.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?