Friday, March 11, 2005

Orwell: Politics and the English Language

Orwell: Politics and the English Language: "# Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.
# Never us a long word where a short one will do.
# If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.
# Never use the passive where you can use the active.
# Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word, or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.
# Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous."

If only his essay wasn't so damn dry and hard to read. Still, maybe I will use these. It makes writing harder. Blah.

Also, an essay I read about successul writing for the web stresses that we should add links graciously, especially in editorial or personal sites. For that reason, I am gonna throw out a link to Dan's blog, a list apart (my new favorite website) , and, uh, Basil's journal which he hasn't updated in forever.

Please view these sites, they help me to grow daily.
Comments:
I am testing this, gerbs tells me my blog comment thing is acting funny.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?