Thursday, October 28, 2004

相手

The Japanese word 相手(aite) means both partner and opponent. I rather like that, it implies that every interaction, be it cooperative or adversitive, establishes a relationship between the participants that distinguishes them from the rest of the world. Maybe the best way to find meaning in life is to find someone to be your aite, your friend and your foe, your companion and your adversary - in that sense, you've always got something to do. I rather like that it's different from simple friendship.

I'm probably just reading too much into a vocab word, but when it's glossed as "parter; opponent" it piques my curiosity.

Anyway yeah, that's all.



Comments:
I've heard it translate as "one whom I must face", thought you might like that.
-Love
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?